Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:41:06 -0600
From:      Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

Nate Williams wrote:

> [ moved to -chat ]
>
> > > Because that underlying assumption is false, and I'm making
> > > fun of it.
> >
> > Well, that in itself is wrong. C++ code IS harder to write and write
> > correctly and effeciently, as I would assume it is for any OO language.
>
> Not so.  Having done C professionally for umpteen years, C++ for a
> little less than umpteen years, and Java for 4, I can say w/out
> reservation that C++ sucks.  OOP programming doesn't *have* to be hard.
> C++ puts too many roadblocks in your way.

1. C++ is a more difficult language than C because it does more stuff
than C. Ditto vs Java.

2. C++ doesn't have to be any more difficult than it has to because you
can ignore most anything in it that you don't need.

> It not just because Java is newer that it's displacing C++ as the
> primary development language.  It's because C++ as a language is *NOT*
> well-designed (design my commitee).

For years I have been seeing this assertion on the net over and over. I
still don't see the expected result (ie, Java applications displacing
C/C++ applications).

Granted that C++ is a language designed by a committee, but what in the
world is Java, if not a language designed by a committee?

> I can get more done in a shorter period of time with Java than with C++.
> However, when speed is of the issues, the computer get more done in a
> shorter amount of time with C than I can with either Java/C++.

I can get more done in a shorter period of time with C++ than with Java.
So what? Does this say any more than what we're used to, and what
libraries we're aware of? Surely the language doesn't write our
programs.

Ditto to your other points. If Java inherently creates better, more
optimized design, then why don't we see more Java applications in the
marketplace?

> Finally, well-written/optimized C++ code is an abomination to look at,
> and requires sacrificing small animals at alters whenever you need to
> modify it. :)

This is simply not true, so I'll take your smiley for what it's worth
:-)

Joe