Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 1995 08:51:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Diskless boot questions

> Does anybody know the answer to this one?  We are using the FreeBSD diskless
> boot code in an EPROM on an SMC Ultra network interface.  This will be used
> in a student lab where students will either be booting FreeBSD over the net,
> or else will be booting MSDOS off of the local hard drive.  The mechanism
> for loading MSDOS is to exit the EPROM boot code and continue with the normal
> BIOS boot chain.

While I use diskless boots, I don't use DOS so I can't help you.  Suggested
cruddy workaround:  use the "menuing" feature in config.sys/autoexec.bat to
provide a bootup menu, instead of using an EPROM.  I don't remember the
syntax, but you can do something along the lines of:

% cat config.sys
[DOS Menu]
1. FreeBSD !!! :-)  :-)
2. DOS  :-(  :-(

[FreeBSD]

goto end
[DOS]

# typical config.sys for DOS here
[Common]
end:
% cat autoexec.bat
[FreeBSD]
c:\bin\netboot
[DOS]

# typical autoexec.bat for DOS here

%

which is a workaround hack, but should provide you with similar
functionality...  :-)  Just a thought.

... Joe