Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:38:05 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IMAP server talks back PF blocks

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:53:02PM +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> When doing
> tcpdump -n -e -ttt -i pflog0
>
> I frequently see packets blocked that looks like this
>
> 458660 rule 0/0(match): block in on em0: xxx.yyy.zzz.qqq.993 >
> qqq.zzz.yyy.xxx.59930:  tcp 8 [bad hdr length 12 - too short, < 20]
>
> It's the IMAP server I'm using that tries to talk back. Is this
> something I should try to let through?

The blocks are happening, but you're not able to see the full data in
the packet due to the snaplen on tcpdump being too small.  Add -s 256 to
your tcpdump argument and run it again.

It looks to me like you have a rule problem; possibly IMAP+SSL isn't
being permitted through, so the block ends up happening as a result of
an ambiguous "block in on em0" rule you have.