Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:41:21 +0000
From:      Tom Jobbins <tomjobbins@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Tom Jobbins <tomjobbins@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two PPP connections to the same ISP with same remote gateway

Thanks for replying, Daniel

>On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:07, Tom Jobbins wrote:
>

>>This can be demonstrated from the command line with the following:
>>[root@magrathea:~]$ ifconfig tun0 1.2.3.5 1.2.3.250
>>[root@magrathea:~]$ ifconfig tun1 1.2.4.4 1.2.3.250
>>ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>>

>This is really odd, because I don't see this on my machines (as per our discussion on IRC which you mention below), I did..
>
>midget# uname -a
>FreeBSD midget.dons.net.au 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #4: Mon Aug  1 09:01:42 CST 2005    darius@midget.dons.net.au:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/MIDGET  i386
>
>midget# cat /dev/tun &
>[1] 21524
>midget# cat /dev/tun &
>[2] 21525

I've isolated the difference.   If I repeat exactly what you do -
including the two cat /dev/tun commands - then it works for me too.   So
long as the tun0 and tun1 interfaces are created with a cat /dev/tun &,
I am able to give them matching remote gateway addresses.

However this is not the case when the interfaces are created any other
way, i.e. via ppp.  Ditto ng0/ng1 created by mpd.

Also, if I then kill the cat /dev/tun commands, leaving tun0 and tun1
existing, but unopened, I am then no longer able to set the matching
gateway.   And if I don't kill the cat commands, ppp can't use those tun
devices because another process has them open.

So it would appear this was just a dead end.  I don't know whats
different about an interface created with the cat command - perhaps as
it's not connected to a real network utility, the normal route checking
does not apply?

If you - or anyone else - has any more ideas as to what I can try to
make this work, I would be most grateful.  It's incredibly frustrating
to be limited in this way, given that I'm almost certain that ipfilters
source-based routing will get around any routing issues if I could only
bring the interfaces up.

Thanks

Tom