Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:32:35 -0500
From:      Richard Brooksby <Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com>
To:        THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD under Virtual PC

THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr wrote:

> Strange way of running FreeBSD ...
> Nevertheless .. wouldn't it be easier to run NetBSD or OpenBSD on your
> Mac ? (if there is a port to Apple portables)

There are two reasons why not:

  1. I know FreeBSD and we use FreeBSD on our servers, so it's useful
     to have exactly the same environment.

  2. By running on Virtual PC I get to use the Mac at the same time.  I can
     even use TCP/IP to communicate between the two "machines" (for example
     I can run Apache on the Virtual PC and browse the results on the Mac).
     This is tremendously powerful for testing my work, especially since I
     can do it anywhere.

If I wanted to run a Unix which takes over the Mac I'd probably run
LinuxPPC or MkLinux, which seem to be fairly well supported.  Of course
what I'd really like to run is Rhapsody so that I get a BSD system _and_
Mac OS on top of Mach.