Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:37:01 -0500
From:      Moses Backman III <unixwarrior@home.com>
To:        brian_clarkson@yahoo.com, Brain <tekshamn@tsoft.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errors in make buildkernel

On Tuesday 20 February 2001 17:53, Brain wrote:
> I've been attempting to upgrade my FBSD 4.0 system to 4.2 with CVSup and
> the required 'make' steps.
>
> i've done the following ( after cvsup completed ):
>
> make world clean
> make buildworld
> make installworld
> make buildkernel
>
> and got the following error:
>
> In file included from
> /usr/src/sys/modules/ipfilter/../../netinet/mlfk_ipl.c:50:
> @/netinet/ip_compat.h:268: osreldate.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules/ipfilter.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src.
>
> i'd usually search through USENET archives to find a solution, but Deja
> sold its archive to Google . . . .
>
> any help is appreciated.
>
> brian

i had similar problems upgrading from 4.1R to 4.2STABLE until, on a whim, i
decided not to shutdown to single-user mode. ( actually i was doing
something).  then i made clean, then i ran make buildworld then make
installworld and it worked ? i don't know that that is right, but my system
is for home-study use only, so nothing earth shattering is on this machine.
your situation may be different, so you may want to look deeper.  but, it
worked for me