Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 22:08:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jesse Rock <jesse@accretive-networks.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   emergency password problem

Please alert me if there is a more appropriate list for
this question.

I have a friend who called me up tonight in a panic with
a problem that I do not have a solution for.
Apperantly while in the process of changing passwords for
both his primary user and root he was called away and when
he returned to his dismay he no longer remembered the new
password.

Too complicate matters he has set an option that requires
the root password in order to single user the machine as well.

My question is two part. First, what if any options are there
to be able to salvage this machine. While it is not a production
machine in the real sense it does have many users and hosts a
number of domains. The only thing I could think of would be
the fixit disk but as a novice admin myself I am not aware of
its abilities nor how to invoke them (any documentation would
be appreciated).

My second question deals with the possibility that nothing but
a new install will cure the situation. To his credit he has
everything on separate disks mounted as separate partitions.
All of the files being served are on A disk that can be salvaged.
If this machine is reinstalled, how do I add the other disk
mounted as /usr/home to the new install and save the information?
Would it be as easy as an fstab entry or is it necessary to
relabel the disks, etc...?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jesse J. Rock			Accretive Technology Group
Network Operations		www.accretive-networks.net
Seattle,Washington		jesse@accretive-networks.net

"Eschew Obfuscation"