Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 09:05:22 -0600
From:      G-der <gder@gder.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing Dynamic Libraries

I am not a normal subscriber to -questions so a cc to me on replies
would be greatly appreciated...

I need to install a dynamic library for a program I need to compile and
install.  I have several questions that I couldn't get answered from th
handbook or the website...

1)  Where should the library file go?  /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib?
2)  Do I just need to copy the file there?  Or do I need to run another
command to tell the linker about this new library?  (ldconfig maybe?)

Any help or just general tips would be great.  If this was in the
handbook and I just missed it a link would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance

Gene Dinkey
gder@gder.net