Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:28:46 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD's boot manager

I suppose my basic question is how do I use the FreeBSD boot manager?  A few
years ago I had a multi-boot system with Win95, WinNT, FreeBSD 3, and FreeBSD
4 (which was -current then).  However, I used BootMagic.  I have since
entirely gotten rid of MS, played with RedHat for a while but could never get
grub to boot to FreeBSD.  I now run just FreeBSD -stable, but I wanted to
install -current.  I had about 4GB unused at the beginning of my disk, so I
thought I'd put -current there.  I installed -current and FreeBSD's boot
manager.  Rebooting, it gave me the options of F1 (FreeBSD) and F2 (FreeBSD)
(is there any way of changing these names to something useful?).  F1
(-current) boot fine, but F2 just beeped at me and did nothing.

I tried using boot0cfg on the -current installation to change the default
booting slice from 1 (-current) to 2 (-stable).  What this accomplished was
that I was no longer even given the option to boot to -current, and -stable
still wouldn't boot.  I then tried using sysinstall to delete the -current
slice, set the -stable slice active, install a new boot manager or install a
standard MBR.  Nothing worked.  What finally worked was creating a slice on
/dev/ad0s1 of type 123, and installing a new boot manager.  What is type 123?
 I have no idea.  I just happened to remember that's what it was originally,
which struck me as odd since nothing other than Linux and FreeBSD had ever
been on the machine (apart from a factory-installed WinXP that was wiped off
without ever being booted to).

I suppose what really mattered was that I had _some_ format to that space, so
that -stable would be ad0s2, rather than ad0s1.  But why can't the boot
manager find other bootable slices?  I guess I'm just used to the lovely
piece of software that is Partition/Boot Magic.  However, I can't find any
information on how to force the boot manager to recognize anything else
either.  The boot0cfg manpage doesn't seem to have anything, and _FreeBSD
Unleashed_ limits itself to quoting this manpage.  Everyone seems
to have info on FreeBSD/Linux or FreeBSD/MS dual boots, but not
FreeBSD/FreeBSD.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/multi-os/article.html
says that boot easy should automatically recognize bootable partitions.
However, this article seems to have been written 6 years ago.  Have we
regressed since then?  :)

Also, on my working system with only one OS, the boot manager gives me two
options, F1 "unknown" and F2 "FreeBSD" (it's always done this, I guess
because of that type 123 slice).  F2 doesn't work, but hitting F1 boots into
FreeBSD on ad0s2.  This also appears pathological, but at least I can boot.

Please help me figure out this mess  :)

-David
--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Center for Cosmological Physics
The University of Chicago