Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:38:49 -0800
From:      Keith Walker <kew@icehouse.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Using BIND in a local, bogus network

I've been perusing all of the FAQ's, reading TFM's, answered a few of some
other folk's questions, now it's my turn to ask:

I hope this is detailed enough.

1. I have a local network, consisting of three machines, one of which is a
FreeBSD machine running as a firewall/NAT thingie.

2. The firewall is connected to the net through a dial up modem.

3. The LAN is set up on 192.168.0.x/24

What I want to do is have a bogus domain, like "family.bog" (a new TLD
invented just for bogus sites like mine :-), with the other machines on the
LAN having names such as "pepsi.family.bog" and "coke.family.bog".

In my perfect world, the firewall would have a named running that would be a
domain master for the bogus network, would cache "real" addresses, and just
generally, DTRT.

I've had *some* success with this, but I cannot get the nameserver to quit
forcing dial-outs, keeping the modem connected almost 24/7.

Ok, so:

1) How come the named program keeps dialing out?
2) How can I prevent this?
3) Are nameservers designed to run only on full time systems?
4) Is there a better way of doing this?

--
Keith Walker
kew@icehouse.net