Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 23:59:39 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Shantanu <shantanoo@ieee.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Building Kernel --  which is fastest,reliable,easy?

On Tuesday 01 May 2001 02:30 pm, Shantanu wrote:
| Hi!
| 1)	cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
| 	config MYKERN
| 	cd ../../compile/MYKERN
| 	make dep
| 	make
| 	make install
|
| Reboot
|
| 2)	cd /usr/src
| 	make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
| 	make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
|
| Reboot
|
| 3)	cd /usr/src
| 	make kernel KERNCONF=MYKERN
|
| Reboot
|
| Which is the best method to compile?

Well, first of all, methods 2 & three are exactly the same -- the kernel
target just does a buildkernel / installkernel, so I always use 3 myself just
to save typing.

Your can use #1 *only* if you haven't updated your kernel courses since the
release; in other words, if you cvsup, you *must* use 2 or 3.  But if you are
building the straight installed kernel source but merely changing options,
then you do indeed have a choice.

Traditionally, one uses (1) to recompile the shipped release kernel and (2)
or (3) otherwise.

But I know of no reason that (3) should fail just because you have the
modified source installed, so probably (3) is your best bet overall.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org

If you smell the smoke you don't need to be told what you've got to do;
Yet there's a certain breed, so very in-between, they'd rather take a
vote.   -- DEVO  --  Here To Go