Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:02:05 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare: booting existing device ...

> Okay, I don`t recall reading anywhere that this doesn`t/won`t work, but,
> if I missed it, please forgive this email ...
>
> Went into Wizard Configuration, choose `Existing Device`, and choose the
> right partition (/dev/hda1), but it tells me `permission denied` to this
At first you are must to use 'hda' but not 'hda1' (the last don't exist
in directory /compat/linux/dev/ at all). And next Linux have the rw-rw---
access but FreeBSD port rw-r--r-- mode for such node (I know the last 'r' is
a security flaw and it'll be corrected in the next port).

> Is there something that I have to do in order to allow a `normal user` to
> be able to access that file system?
Try just apply the following command:
chmod 660 /compat/linux/dev/hd?

--