Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:32:50 -0300
From:      Rafael Henrique Faria <rafaelhfaria@cenadigital.com.br>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   UFS2 space usage

Hi.

I'm transferring a disk from my MacBook to my FreeBSD server, it's a 500GB
3,5" disk in an USB enclosure.
As I was using it in MacOS, it was formated with HFS+. So I transfered all
data from it to an second disk.
Then I reformatted the disk inside the FreeBSD 9.0, using GPT, and using
all disk (with HFS+ there was a EFI partition, plus a free space in the
beginning and in the end of the disk).
I used this options for newfs: "-U2 -o space".

The 500GB disk in HFS+, was with 2GB free, so 498GB in use. (Apple, uses 1
K as 1000 Bytes, and 1 M as 1000 K, so you really see 500GB of free space
and occupied).

After trying to move the data back to the 500GB disk formated in UFS2, 44GB
couldn't be transferred. There is no free space for all the data.

In FreeBSD it says that the disk have 458GB, and is using 415GB, and have
6.2GB free. But I still have 48GB of data to transfer to it.

Is HFS+ more optimized to store files then UFS2? There is something that I
can do to get more space for data?

Thanks in advance.

--
Rafael Henrique da Silva Faria