Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:58:57 -0800
From:      Dave Atkins <dave@atkinshome.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail times out connecting to local mailserver

I have a freeBSD box in our datacenter with a bunch of Windows
servers. When I attempt to send an email, it times out when attempting
to deliver to our local mailserver. If I attempt to send to an address
outside our network, it works...but very slowly. There is a 10-15
second delay before the message is accepted for delivery. In the case
of our local mailserver, it just times out.

I suspect DNS issues are causing trouble. The mail server for our
domain is on the same private subnet as the freeBSD box and
technically, it is crmail.crdc.consumerreview.org. The freebsd box is
marketplace.crdc.consumerreview.org. Both have 192.168.1.* addresses.

When I send mail to datkins@consumerreview.com, it attempts to connect
to mail.consumerreview.com (the external address for the crmail
server) and times out. I can telnet on port 25 to the internal ip
address of this server and successfuly cause an email to be received.
I have attempted using a hosts file to point mail.consumerreview.com
to the 192.168.1.* address of crmail, but it does not help. I have
updated our internal DNS servers and verified that the linux box has
forward and reverse dns entries and when I do a ping -a from the mail
server to the ip address of the freebsd box, it resolves correctly.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I accessed the mail server log for an external server and observe this
behavior when I do:

#/usr/sbin/sendmail -v dave@atkinshome.com

results in:

Dec  4 16:50:07 kekaha sendmail[28737]: QAA28737:
from=<datkins@marketplace.crdc.consumerreview.org>, size=412, class=0,
pri=30412, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<200112042346.fB4NkP531202@marketplace.crdc.consumerreview.org>,
proto=ESMTP, relay=64.124.36.114.available.above.net [64.124.36.114]
(may be forged)
Dec  4 16:50:07 kekaha sendmail[28738]: QAA28737:
to=<dave@atkinshome.com>, dela
y=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, stat=Sent

However, if I attempt a
#/usr/sbin/sendmail -v datkins@consumerreview.com
it just times out

The "may be forged" is due to the fact that the external, NAT'd
address of the marketplace server reverse resolves to
64.124.36.114.available.above.net. But this should not cause a 10-15
second delay, should it?

As for the internal delivery, maybe I need to create an MX
record, not just a hosts file entry, in my local DNS, to help sendmail
know to connect directly to the 192.168.1.x address of crmail, instead
of the 64...x address, which involves a trip out through the alteon
switch and PIX firewall and back in...which is not allowed. But I should
be able to use a hosts file.

Any help would be great! Thanks,

P.S.
I have also tried using the crmail server as a relay--can't get that to
work either. I can use my mailserver at mail.atkinshome.com as a
relay--but still have that 10-15 second delay which is a problem.