Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:48:06 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Carlos Antonio Ruggiero <TOTO@ifqsc.sc.usp.br>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI probe problems.

On Dec 4,  3:31, Carlos Antonio Ruggiero wrote:
} Subject: PCI probe problems.
} Hi everybody,
} I'm trying to install 2.1 Release in 4 Pentium based motherboards with
} PCI buses. In two of them (a Zeus and a noname one) the PCI gets
} probed all right. In another noname motherboard, the bus doesn't get
} probed (though everything seems OK if I install 2.0.5). In a compaq
} machine both 2.0.5R and 2.1 R fail to probe the bus.

There are too many systems with non-compliant chipsets (Compaq being
the worst, IMHO), and the PCI bus probe code contains many special
cases by now. You may want to try a kernel with the PCI probe code
from FreeBSD-current. You'll only need "/sys/i386/isa/pcibus.c" from
a -current source tree, it should compile cleanly on a 2.1R system.

} Does anybody know what's happening?

Could you please enter the "-v" option at the "Boot: " promt
and send the numbers in all lines after the first pcibus_setup() ?

What chip sets are used in the non-working systems ?

2.1R contains special code to deal with recent Compaq PCI chip sets,
and has been tested with a number of them.

I'll try to make all your systems supported in the main stream code,
if you send VERBOSE boot messages (i.e. those obtained by booting
with "-v").

Regards, STefan