Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:01:08 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@peony.ezo.net>
Cc:        Theo PAGTZIS <T.Pagtzis@cs.ucl.ac.uk>, Eric Kozowski <eric@svjava.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd box acting as a wavelan BS

Jim Flowers wrote:

> Last I checked the wi driver will not do IBSS and says so in the
> documentation.  I also tried it and couldn't get anywhere.  Would be nice.

You must've last checked a long time ago:

DESCRIPTION
     The wicontrol command controls the operation of WaveLAN/IEEE wireless
     networking devices via the wi(4) driver.  Most of the parameters that can
     be changed relate to the IEEE 802.11 protocol which the WaveLAN imple-
     ments.  This includes the station name, whether the station is operating
     in ad-hoc (point to point) or BSS (service set) mode, and the network
     name of a service set to join (IBSS) if BSS mode is enabled.  The wicon-
     trol command can also be used to view the current settings of these pa-
     rameters and to dump out the values of the card's statistics counters.