Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:55:25 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: exporting TERM from a script

| As far as I understood environment variables, there is no way to modify
| your parent's environment. The only thing export does is that the variable you

Ah, that explains it.  Thanks.

| Use startup scripts to export TERM behaviour, conditional on being
| network logged in, $DISPLAY or something like that. If you like to
| switch between $TERM's (why?), use aliases or shell functions.

Well, the way my login script is set up now, it uses the login IP to choose
the correct TERM setting and build a muttrc that looks best for that term
type.

Well, today i became very excited when i found how easy it is to get a
tcp/ip connection from my windows network at work.  :-)  But, the login
script for my shell account can't tell the difference between an ssh session
running on my windows machine and ssh on my BSD laptop.  Is there any other
factor i can use to distinguish them, since they have the same IP address?

Jonathon
--
Microsoft complaining about the source license used by
Linux is like the event horizon calling the kettle black.