Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:20:50 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up a Gateway to @home - Newbie VERY confused

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 02:22:01PM -0800, John Purser wrote:
> Christ,
>
> Thanks for the help.  I followed your instruction and here is what has
> happened so far:
>
> I had to change the ipfw line to:
> ipfw add 100 divert NATD all FROM any to any via fxp1  (CAPS being upper
> case versions of my  additions)

Yeah, I didn't do a very good proof-read of that mail, huh?

> I edited the rc.conf but the ipfw rules still don't come up on reboot.
> Should the firewall_type option = OPEN instead of open?

Well, the line in the stock rc.firewall is,

  # Prototype setups.
  if [ "${firewall_type}" = "open" -o "${firewall_type}" = "OPEN" ]; then

So either should be fine.

What does your rc.conf look like at this point? What is the output of
'ipfw show'? And toss in the output of 'ps p `cat /var/run/natd.pid`'
to make sure that is running.

> When I enter "ping yahoo.com" nothing happens, not even the command prompt
> until I hit control C.
>
> You were right about sysinstall.  It had created 5 versions of my network
> cards in rc.conf which tells you how long I've been poking at this.
>
> Any other ideas?  I don't know where to go from here.

There are a lot of ways to go here. Use 'ifconfig -a' to check all of
the interfaces are up and addressed apropriately. Check out 'netstat
-rn' to make sure that your routing table is set up right, and then
you can always do 'tcpdump -i <interface>' to see exactly what packets
might be coming or going.