Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:31:01 -0700
From:      Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmanager and perl handling

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Sunday 20 August 2006 17:40, Noah wrote:
>
>>  am running portmanager with the following switches "portmanager -u -f
>> -l -y"
>>  which is building all the dependencies.  I find that perl is set to the
>> system version of 5.003 .   I do not want this behavior.
>>
>> I want to keep updating Perl to the newer version and I want perl to
>> always be set to the latest port which is currently 5.8.8.  what do I
>> need to change in my portmanager.conf file to make sure this happens?
>>

> I thought that portmanager did that automatically. Anyway, in the pkg-message
> file, there is a notation about 'use.perl port'. That is located
> in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/files directory. However, you will need to chmod
> it to get it to run. There is also the 'perl-after-upgrade' file there that I
> believe replaces the 'use.perl' program. I may be wrong about that though. In
> any case, read the man on 'perl-after-upgrade' and run it. That might correct
> the problem. Perhaps someone else know more about the 'use.perl' program.

Hi,

Okay I am looking at these files.  I am looking for something that
automatically executes a 'use.perl port' after upgrading or reinstalling
perl.  It is most probable that I will always want the latest perl port
active.

I cant figure out how to do that from the documentation and/or files you
have sent to me.

Cheers,
Noah