Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 12:57:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail SUMMARY

John,

Good summary!!

On Fri, 1 Nov 1996 14:56:30 -0500 (EST), John Fieber wrote:
> 1) For safety purposes, it is best for any process mucking with a
> user's mailbox to use *all* locking mechanism supported on the
> platform.

Agreed.

> 2) For a variety of debatable reasons, the standard mail spool
> policy in FreeBSD does not support .lock file locking.

Agreed.

> 3) Mark Crispin's software apparently assumes that .lock file
> locking is available on all platforms and thus encounters some
> problems on FreeBSD.

Slight rewording:

3) Mark Crispin's software assumes that .lock file locking should be attempted
on all platforms on the grounds that it is impossible to know when it is
needed and when it isn't.  The software outputs a warning message when it can
not do .lock file locking, unless that message is quelled.

That message is not quelled by default on FreeBSD (or on any other platform)
because:
 3a) NFS rathole
 3b) sysadmin may install a different delivery agent (how do we know?)
 3c) multiplatform interoperability is of paramount importance

There seems to be considerable controversy about (3a) and (3c); many
individuals dismiss both of these.  I do not have that luxury; no matter how
much flamage I may receive from the FreeBSD community, the people who sign my
paychecks will not permit me to abandon either of these.

I remain bewildered why the FreeBSD community can not make due with a technote
of the form:
	c-client, which is used by IMAP, Pine, and other software, is
	distributed with a conservative multi-platform configuration
	that causes an extraneous warning on most FreeBSD systems.
	Unless you are using NFS to access mail, or you have changed
	the local mail delivery agent, you should build this software
	with -DIGNORE_LOCK_EACCES_ERRORS to quell that warning message.

> 4) The meat of the debate is if and how the software should
> determine the available locking mechanisms.  I gather that .lock
> file support is currently configured at compile time.

Agreed.  The argument boils down to which is the better default:
 4a) do what works, and is least obnoxious, for most FreeBSD sites
 4b) do what is least likely to cause undetected failure

As software developer, I choose to ship with the (b) default, under the
assumption that a site that wants (a) and understands the possible adverse
consequences can figure out how to switch to (a).

Prior to imap-4, I did (a), and was badly burnt.  The FreeBSD community has
been the only one that has advocated a return to (a).  In every other case
reported to date, the warning meant that real locking failures were happening.

Most of the customers want us to guarantee that the software is, and always
will be, setgid-safe.  We've resisted that.

> 5) Most of this thread has been about mail spool policy which has
> little if anything to do with the issue at hand of detecting
> supported locking mechanism in an accurate and unobtrusive way.

Agreed.

I believe that there's no portable way to detect the supported locking
mechanism, especially *not* on a per-file basis (which it needs to be once NFS
rears its ugly head).  SCO and other vendors agree, and follow the "apply all
possible locks" position too.