Date:      09 May 2002 15:14:41 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        netcruiser@myrealbox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to switch to Gnome + Sawfish?

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 15:07, Manning Luo wrote:
> Hi, I'm a newbie to FreeBSD. I installed FreeBSD 4.5 and Gnomw + Sawfish. I went to /var/db/pkg, everything seems installed properly, but I don't know how to switch to Gnome. After I reboot my computer, I only see the login, password page. Please help.

You can start GNOME in one of two ways.  One way is to use gdm (from the
ports collection) to act as a display manager to replace xdm.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/x-xdm.html section 5.6.2 and replace xdm
with gdm.

The second way to do this to use startx.  To do this, create a
~/.xinitrc with the following:

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session

Give this file executable permissions, then type startx.  Note, you will
need to have the /usr/ports/x11/wrapper port installed if you're using
XFree86 4.x, and have the following in ~/.xserverrc:

exec Xwrapper :0

Joe

PGP Key: http://www.marcuscom.com/pgp.asc