Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:02:47 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: designing new freebsd server for amd64 arch

On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:19 AM, David Komanek wrote:

> Now I prefer:
> Tyan Thunder K8WE, S2895A2NRF
> 2x AMD Opteron 250 Box
> Adaptec 2130SLP

No experience with these; the LSI 320-2X has been extremely reliable
for us.

> 4x Hitachi 3.5" 73.4 GB (SCSI Ultra 320),10 000 rpm

If you can push yourself to 15kRPM drives, you'll be happier...

> HP DLT 40/80
> 2x Gb LAN - I plan use the on-board ones

Run away!!! Run away!!! Run from the onboard bge ethernet!  Buy a nice
intel dual gigabit ethernet card use that.  turn off the bge via the
bios.  They will lock your system or cause other problems under heavy
disk+network load.