Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:42:07 -0400
From:      "Robert Augustine" <raugustine@reflectively.net>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Random Reboots and Miscellaneous Athlon/FIC Problems.

Hello,
    I would like to update the list on my problems and give a brief
generalisation.  I would have to say that the SD-11 must be poorly
manufactured because along with the fact that random reboots occur quite
often, and are almost impossible to trace, the UDMA33 and ATA66 don't work
at all.  To fix my problems I implemented an older Matsonic motherboard with
all the wonderful SMB features (the 7070SD to be percise) and a Promise
Fasttrak66/100 card to handle the UDMA/ATA features.  The Matsonic is a Dual
PentiumIII 500-700mhz compatible motherboard with a nice INTEL chipset.  I
dont want to be the pot calling the kettle black but wtf is up with VIA?
Are there actual implementations of the Athlon Processor the VIA Chipset and
UDMA/ATA66 working in unison?  I think Asus and Abit are coming out with
their two newest boards that will solve alot of the deficiency problems with
voltage and/or the ATA controller's onboard. The models are the Abit KA7100
AMD Athlon Slot A ATX Motherboard (list $153.00) and the Asus A7V Amd Socket
A ATX ATA100 Motherboard (list $154.00).  I have now learned the
extensiveness of FreeBSD being picky and quite frankly I understand and am
very empathetic to its needs.  Does anyone have some case studies involving
the above mentioned hardware?  It would be very nice to hear from other
people on these issues.

-Robert

p.s. Regarding the fasttrak controller since it shows up as /dev/ad6 does
this mean I can end up putting massive amounts of IDE inside the machine
with the mainbord ide controller and if needed more Promise cards?