Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:22:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail in 4.1.1

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 07:36:59PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> I've just installed 4.1.1 from an ISO I found laying round the net. It's got
> sendmail 8.11 which is fine by me.
>
> However, where the heck are the sendmail documents and configuration tools?

You'll find the sample configurations for sendmail in /usr/src/etc/sendmail:

    hades-root:/root# cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail/
    hades-root:/usr/src/etc/sendmail# ls
    CVS/            Makefile        freebsd.mc      freefall.mc

the original sources of Sendmail 8.11.1 in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail:

    hades-root:/usr/src/etc/sendmail# cd /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/
    hades-root:/usr/src/contrib/sendmail# ls
    CVS/                    Makefile                doc/                    mailstats/              test/
    FAQ                     PGPKEYS                 include/                makemap/                vacation/
    FREEBSD-upgrade         README                  libmilter/              praliases/
    INSTALL                 RELEASE_NOTES           libsmdb/                rmail/
    KNOWNBUGS               cf/                     libsmutil/              smrsh/
    LICENSE                 contrib/                mail.local/             src/

the README for sendmail.cf options at /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README:

    hades-root:/usr/src/contrib/sendmail# ls -l cf/README*
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  129710 Oct 10 08:07 cf/README

The handbook and FAQ also contain some stuff about Sendmail and it's
configuration.  Grab them at http://www.freebsd.org/ or if you have
installed the doc- packages, take a look at the stuff under your
/usr/share/doc tree.

- giorgos