Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 11:16:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org, Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Subject:   RE: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

On 23-May-01 Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>:-)  There's really only a parallel between Sauron's drive
> to totally dominate everything, and Microsoft's drive to
> dominate everything.
>
> Of course, since Tolken's series really caught on in the
> late 70's, it's ancient history to the generation today.  Now we
> have the parallels drawn between Microsoft and The Borg,
> otherwise the young pups won't understand the analogy. :-)

So since I've read LoTR at least 15 times it means I'm a generational
misfit? :)

> But if I were to make more of an analogy between LoTR and
> OSS, I'd say that the BSD community are the High Elves that
> went West, while the Linux community are the Low Elves that
> never made the trip.  Both worked together and both had their
> magic, but the High Elves were obviously much more powerful,
> although not as numerous.

Now referring to The Simirallion (sp?) is where you will lose people.
:)  LoTR only touches on the difference between High and Low, whereas
TS covers it in greater detail.  The rings are probably the markets in
the industry being competed over, and the desktop/server market would
probably only be the 3 elven rings anyways.  I wouldn't say that the
desktop market is the One ring.  Figuring out the symbolism of the 7
dwarven rings and 9 human rings is left as an exercise to the reader.
(bad pun)