Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:29:47 -0700
From:      Jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD recommends not using base unbound for an authoritative server

Dear Chris,
From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
Sent:  Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:25:09 -0700
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Hello,
>
> I use the base system sendmail instead of ports procmail because:
> - documented in manual
> - security problems are described in FreeBSD announcements
> - easy updates with freebsd-update
> - infrequent updates
>
> For the same reasons, I'd like to run the base system's unbound to
> authoritatively host my DNS... but FreeBSD is discouraging me in
> section 29.7.2 of the manual.  Why the discouragement?

I use unbound from base _only_ at home for recursive DNS stuff. If I were to
make it authoritative for a domain, I'd use ports or packages because they are
updated more frequently over what's it base.

If you're going to actually to authoritatively resolve for your domain, I
think you want NSD: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSD

--
inum: 883510009027723
sip: jungleboogie@sip2sip.info