Date:      Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:05:10 PDT
From:      "Wa Lin" <wallyl3@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Signal 11 caught!

Hi, I have downloaded FreeBSD 3.0-19981006-BETA yesterday and I am
totally new to FreeBSD. After so many attempts of installation, it
returns the same error again and again. The error message that I saw
from pressing ALT-F2 is:

[a bunch of Debug lines that has no problem]
DEBUG: uc_open: attempting to open /dev/kmem for icore
DEBUG: uc_open: got isa information
DEBUG: uc_open: got pci information
DEBUG: uc_open: Signal 11 caught! That's bad!

I tried to install by using the most basic configurations (Minimum, from
Distribution Menu).

On the kernel configuration screen, I choose:

Storage:
 Floppy disk controller    fdc0
 IDE/ESD......             wdc0
 IDE/ESD.....              wdc1

Network:
[didn't select any]

and the rest was as default.

The machine that I am installing FreeBSD has this components:
ASUS P2B MOTHERBOARD (100Mhz bus)
PII 350Mhz CPU
64 SDRAM
6.4 WESTERN DIGITAL HD (source where I store bin and manpages)
2.1 WESTERN DIGITAL HD (destination where I want to install FreeBSd)
DIAMOND G460 VIDEO CARD
REALRTK 8029AS NETWORK CARD
AWE 64 CREATIVE SOUND CARD
TEAC CD-532E-A CDROM

And the setting for the 'slices' are as follows:
/        30M
swap     137M
/var     34M
/usr     1804M

by using A to auto config, but it returns swap space error and requested
122M more swap space, so I created another one with 137M, and the
'slices' looks like this:
/        30M
swap     137M
/var     34M
/usr     1600M
swap     137M

If you need more information on my system or the configurations, I am
glad to supply them.
Also, please tell me if the components in my machine has conflict with
FreeBsd. So, my question is why does the error "Signal 11 caught" occur,
and how do I fix it if it is possible.

Some small questions:
Is my video card(DIAMOND G460) compatible with any X server besides
vga16 or svga?
What should be the usual size of swap space for a topical PC system?

Thankyou,
Wa Chun