Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:33:44 -0600
From:      Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Debugging virtualbox "bus error: 10" ?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:17:22 -0600, Alex Anagnos wrote:

> I have
VirtualBox OSE 3.2.12 and FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE.

> This situation is
rather unique.
> The system setup uses "likewise" to provide Windows
Domain auth/login, that is working fine.

> My problem is then when i
log in using a domain account and try to start VirtualBox (via command
line: $VirtualBox).
> All the output i get is
> "Bus error: 10"
> and
for a small small fraction of a second the beginning of a GUI window..

> If i log into the box with a local account (non domain), everything
works just fine.

> Both accounts are in the vboxusers group and the
group rights are working correctly.

> In my efforts to figure out why
things don't work i've tried starting VirtualBox in gdb, only to find
that the VirtualBox executable uses the set uid flag to get an euid of
0.
> gdb strips that flag for security reasons, thus all i get is an
euid error out of virtualbox, joy..

> Doing a su to root and trying
that way makes it fail to find X11 display.
> But since this is probably
something permissions wise, i'd hazard running a root would fix it
anyway, not something that would help..

> next up i tried tress, that
didn't care about the set uid flag so i got some info out of it.
> sadly
there was nothing in there that looked erroneous that wasn't present in
a tress from the working account..

> Since VirtualBox i was giving a
"Bus error: 10" i looked though the man pages and found the default
action for "Bus error" is to make a core dump.
> Looking through the
entire harddrive i've failed to find any *.core files..
> Looking back
at the tress, i can see the VirtualBox is exiting with status 0, i guess
that is why i don't get a core dump.

> Trying other things i found
that everything that does not use a GUI looks to be working..
> I can
start a VM using Headless, and vboxmanage works so long as i don't try
to "startvm".

> Since it is a buss error, and at least according to
syslog that message came from the kernel.
> All i can think of left to
try is to enable KTRACE in my kernel and hope that will point me
somewhere..
> But i'm thinking it won't, since the GUI is not even
starting all the way.
> I'd hazard a guess that VirtualBox does not even
begin to make use of vboxdrv until you actually start a VM, which works
in headless..

[3]"

The only thing I could come up with was permissions since many of
the VBox binaries are SUID. However, I cannot find any difference
externally for the headless binary and the others. Other thoughts have
to do with permissions to the X process that you are granted when you
log on to the domain.

Rusty Nejdl

Links:
------