Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        yurtesen@ispro.net.tr (Evren Yurtesen)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple machines in the same network

> Hello,
>
> We are an ISP and we want to let our customers to put their own hardware
> into our network. But the thing we are concerned about is security of
> course. How can we protect our system from customers' machines?

I would strongly suggest that you place your customers on a ethernet
switch.  Any of the modern 10/100 switches work well for this.  Each
customer gets 1 port on the switch, if they have more than 1 machine
they install thier own hub connected to the switch.  This prevents
them from sniffing other customers traffic.  Then you need to setup
a router between this switch and your DMZ with a firewall rule set
that stops all the nasty stuff like RFC1918 nets, smurf amplifier (block
the broadcast addresses to all known subnets), etc.

> I have heard about somehthing called "virtual network" but I am not sure
> of what it means and even if it is the thing I am searching for ?

You don't need VLAN's for this, it's overkill.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net