Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 19:39:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reset screen hardware?

Greg Lehey stands accused of saying:

> >> How about a more positive approach?  I know plenty of people who'll
> >> tell me in vivid detail why things won't work.
> >
> > This is like asking for a positive approach to a VMS ABI emulation
> > module 8)
>
> Yes.  If people want it.  I didn't say it had to be nice.

I'm not sure I can parse that.

> -- rant mode on --
>
> If there's one thing that pisses me off about many FreeBSD hackers,
> it's this attitude "Ooh, this is nasty.  I don't want to have anything
> to do with it".

I don't see how this is relevant to the discussion at hand.  What is
currently being said is "there is a tough problem.  The proposed
solution sucks both from a practicality and a supportability point of
view.  In addition, a more general and elegant solution is already
being implemented."

That's not "this is nasty".

> Lots of PC hardware is nasty.  Messing around in a 16
> bit BIOS is nasty.  IDE is nasty.  VGA is nasty.  Come to think of it,
> what's nice about PC hardware?  But FreeBSD's acceptance suffers
> significantly because nobody can be bothered to deal with these nasty
> things.  Where's the Win-32 emulator? ...

There are two of them; both accumulating significant support and
offering usefully overlapping feature sets.  Note that neither of
their development teams have the biollion-plus development budget of
the original.

> >> That's for sure.  But who says it'll be hundreds of Ks?
> >
> > Have a look at the X server sources someday.
>
> Must I?  I took a look at SuperProbe.  The binary is 83 kB, and in the
> kernel some of that could go.  Sure, that's too much for the kernel,
> too, but it's still not hundreds.

Turn around, go back.  SuperProbe != video chipset drivers.

> > Basically, it is not possible to take a snapshot of the state of a
> > modern video adapter without uintimate knowledge of the hardware
> > involved.  Such a snapshot is often useless anyway, as it does not
> > contain information about the state transitions prior to the snaphot
> > state, which may be very significant to the hardware's current mode of
> > operation.
>
> But we still have the evidence that every X server manages to reset
> them most of the time.

That's _right_.  But it achieves this by knowing, in fact having
_been_told_ in advance what the hardware is, and thus having
hardware-specific intelligence.  The point is that this intelligence
is foreign to the kernel, unmaintainable in the kernel environment,
and _inevitably_ will lag, often indefinitely, behind hardware
development.