Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 16:46:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP connection to German T-Online

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Jeremy Vandenhouten wrote:

> This seems really obvious but did you indent all the lines after
> the "default:" statement?

I modified the ppp.conf file according to your suggestions (and even
beyond them), but yet without success.

> Oct 13 06:30:43 tanja ppp[1122]: tun0: IPCP: myaddr 62.158.151.61
> hisaddr = 193.158.144.93
>
> Does myaddr look anything like you get when you login from a windoze
> box? Also if you run a tracert under win is that the next jump you get
> after your own?

I did some additional research at that point. Let me tell you all I know:

First of all, myaddr and hisaddr match the addresses that I'm assigned
when dialing in via Windoze (hisaddr matches in full, myaddr is about the
same, since it is dynamically assigned, as you know).

The first strange thing I noticed on the Windoze NT box I used at my
buddy's house is the following: When I enter "ipconfig" on Windoze my IP
address seems to be the same as the default gateway address. I don't know
if that's strange or not, I just know that when I look at the RAS monitor
under NT that shows the connection details the IP dynamically assigned to
me is about the same as myaddr on FreeBSD, and the address of the "Remote
Server" is just the same as hisaddr.

Now the second (and probably more interesting) strange thing:

I did a traceroute on Windoze and the first hop behind me was always
hisaddr. The address behind hisaddr also seemed to be the same, so that it
looked about like that:

1. 193.158.144.93 (=hisaddr)
2. 193.158.138.166

Ok. Now I wanted to try something: I read somewhere on the web that
T-Online's own machines don't respond to pings. So I tried to ping
193.158.144.93 (hisaddr) and I got a message saying "Destination network
unreachable". Let me add, though, that pinging other addresses (for
example nightcastleproductions.org, or its IP 63.73.49.39) works
correctly. Also, pinging the first IP that comes after hisaddr in the
traceroute works (ping 193.158.138.166).

So far about Windoze. Now I returned to my own FreeBSD box and I tried
some very similar stuff.
On FreeBSD, I also cannot ping hisaddr (just as on Windoze). I can,
however, also just as under Windoze, ping the first address behind hisaddr
(193.158.138.166). So far it seems to be the same under Windoze and
FreeBSD. The only difference is that while I can ping other hosts on
Windoze, that is not possible under FreeBSD (so ping
nightcastleproductions.org or ping 63.73.49.39 fails).

That's all I have observed until now. I don't have a clue what it means,
though. The only thing I can imagine is that the T-Online systems must be
strange. As I said, they really seem not to reply to pings, and I wonder
if that could be somehow related to the problem. I don't know, however,
why Windoze works then, even though it also doesn't get ping responses
from the T-Online systems.

Well, now I've told a whole lot of stuff. Hopefully this will be enough
for someone to have an idea that solves the problem. I'm currently really
angry with the folks at T-Online. They are responsible for all the other
German flatrate-ISPs going bankrupt, so if one wants a flatrate
connection, T-Online is the only choice. And then it doesn't even work if
you use a *real* operating system and no such shit as Windoze...

See ya,
Nils