Date:      20 Dec 2002 09:14:59 +0000
From:      David Gethings <davidg@pipex.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FIXED: fdisk and HD's larger than 2GB

Would you believe it was a jumper on the HD that was causing all the
problems. The HD is setup as the primary IDE master, but the jumper
settings on the HD were not configured as such. Once the correct jumper
settings were in place fdisk behaved normally.

I'd like to add that I bought the PC "as is" from a friend, and so
figured this kind of thing would already have been sorted. I won't make
that kind of assumption again.

So the good news is that I now have more than 2G to play with. The bad
news is that seeing as I installed an OS while the jumpers were not
configured correctly, this seems to have corrupted sections of the disk.
So be warned: make sure your HD jumper settings are correct for the HD's
position!

Regards

Dg