Date:      30 Oct 1999 01:51:41 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: w program output.

> I thought that the system could have a small cache for resolving
> the internet addresses instead of querying the DNS every time an user
> is issuing a w or who command.

I am not sure if the resolver code in libc does this.  It can be done
though, if you install a private name server, and have *it* as your
first DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf

If you have it ask your ISP's name server for the "." zone, you can also
take advantage of that named's cache.  I think so.  Correct me someone
if I'm making some mistake here.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]