Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:38:32 +0200
From:      "Philipp Reichmuth" <reichmuth@web.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel panics while compiling it and other errors

Hello folks!

I am having some trouble with FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE. I had the same problem with 4.0-RELEASE for some time, though.

I am running a small web and mail server on an Intel Pentium 120, ASUS TP4 mainboard, 64 megs of RAM, a couple of older IDE disks and a 3COM EtherLink III network adapter, no overclocking; the only more exotic kind of hardware I've installed is a rather large passive cooler, but fitting this with an additional fan (which in total results in a rather ridiculous piece of hardware) doesn't amend the problem. I've installed FreeBSD via FTP from ftp.freebsd.org.

When I try to compile the kernel, weird things happen. In general, the compiler or the kernel exits at "make depend" stage with various errors - bus errors, segmentation faults, kernel page faults, kernel illegal instructions, all sorts of crap. Some of these require me to reboot my machine, which I happily do, but to no avail - the problem remains.

As I said, the problem currently occurs with 4.1-RELEASE. I've been running 4.0-RELEASE for a couple of months before that, and with 4.0, the compiler exited at "make" stage after the first five to twenty files, usually with a segmentation fault. Probably with the different make depend process in 4.1, it exits earlier because it generally seems to go "tilt" after a more or less unvarying amount of time. At first, I blamed it on the slightly different BSD setup I had with 4.0 because I ftp-installed that from ftp7.de.freebsd.org, where the distribution seems to be a bit different, but apparently it happens regardless of the server, which, on the other hand, is hardly surprising.

I used to be able to live for a few months without remaking the kernel, but as of now, I need to compile a few things in there and out of there, so it would really be appreciated if anyone out there knew what I'm doing wrong or what is going on in the depths of silicon.

Thanks in advance-

Philipp