Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 19:32:23 +0200
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6.2 installworld fail

Kent Stewart wrote:

> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg wrote:
>
>> Hi list.
>>
>> During the last 10 days or so, I have been unable to update any of my
>> machines using the cvsup and make buildworld procedure.
>> The machines are PII, dual Celeron, dual PIII and a few AMD's, all
>> high quality machines with plenty of ram, and they all fail.
>>
>> Some output from my last attempt.
>> Make buildworld is succesfull, but only a few seconds into make
>> installworld I get this:
>>
>> ===> bin/rmail
>> install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   rmail /bin
>> install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444 rmail.8.gz  /usr/share/man/man8
>> ===> games
>> ===> games/adventure
>> install -c -s -o root -g games -m 550   adventure /usr/games/hide
>> (cd /usr/games; ln -fs dm adventure;  chown -h root:wheel adventure)
>> chown: wheel: illegal group name
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/games/adventure.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src/games.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop in /usr/src.
>> <root@rocky /usr/src>
>> Message from syslogd@rocky at Thu Aug 29 16:45:00 2002 ...
>> rocky Aug 29 16:45:00atrun[: cannot read /var/at/jobs/
>>
>> Here it complains about the wheel group, but naturally the wheel group
>> exists, so what the error message says cant really be whats causing it
>> to fail. As you can see, it immediatly afterwards starts to report
>> some weird errors, such as cant read /var/at/jobs, followed by malloc
>> failures and similar.
>> The only way to recover the machine from this state is to restore from
>> backups, rebooting the machine or trying to continue using it will
>> leave you with a severely crippled system. Most processes fail with
>> segfault or memory allocation errors.
>> Ive tried cvsup with tag=RELENG_4, tag=RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE and
>> tag=RELENG_4_6_1_RELEASE. Ive tried different cvsup servers and I have
>> done make clean, and even deleted /usr/src and /usr/obj. Same result
>> in all cases.
>>
>> uname -a:
>> FreeBSD rocky.<domain> 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Mon Aug 19
>> 21:05:16 GMT 2002 root@rocky.<domain>:/usr/src/sys/compile/ROCKY  i386
>>
>> Is the source tree broken right now, or am I doing something wrong?
>

> I think you are doing something wrong. I saw this message and proceeded
> to cvsup ports-all and rebuild my system. I had no problem doing that.
>
> I followed the example in /usr/src/UPDATING on upgrading to 4.x-stable.
> The test system is not running a kern_secure level and I boot into
> single user mode and run "adjkerntz -i" before I mount my file systems.
>
> I kind of wonder if you have a user games or if you have some sort of
> [...]

None of the systems are using kern_secure level, and single or
multi user mode makes no difference in my case.
These machines regularly build world and install, so I find it
hard to see how this could be a permission issue. The same thing
happens on 6-7 different machines, none configured similarly, and
none with identical hardware. One of the machines was actually
installed as a FreeBSD 2.2.8 and has been upgraded since using
cvsup and is today a 4.5-STABLE, and it has never before failed a
make buildworld.
Just to make sure I took a spare drive, installed clean from the
4.5 freebsd cd's, cvsuped and make buildworld. The installworld
failed at exactly the same place.
So far, I have tried cvsup.se and cvsup.no.freebsd.org. Right now
I cant see how this could be anything but bad source, so I will
probably try one of the main cvsup servers or perhaps cvsup to an
older source and try to build that.

Thanks anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out