Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:46:35 -0400
From:      "Kutulu" <kutulu@kutulu.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Missing vendor info for generic Realtek clone (FBSD4.6)

I recently inherited a very old Compaq Presario which I decided to put
FreeBSD on.  The network card is a generic 10/100 card (it's so generic the
company name isn't anywhere on the card OR in the manual), but searching
google on the model number turns up a Windows and Linux driver and some DOS
real-mode utilities.

The card turns out to be based on the RealTek RTL8139 chipset, so I added
the rl driver and the miibus device to my kernel and rebuilt.  pccardd,
however, tells me that the vendor information is "(null)"("(null)").
`pccardc dumpcis` also shows absolutely nothing, just a terminator.  I've
used `pccardc pccardmem` to set the pccard base memory locations to 0xd0000,
0xd4000, 0xd8000, and 0xdc000, all produce the same results.  I also tried
forcing pccardc to activate the card using `pccardc enabler` and the IRQ,
I/O port, and base memory location I read off the card using the real mode
DOS utilties, but I get a "device is not confugured" error.

I'm pretty sure my issue is that I'm not pointing the pccard system to the
right memory location, but I am now out of ideas on how to do so.  I have
the source code to the Linux realtek driver and what appears to be a snippet
from a Redhat 7.0 pcmcia.conf file from this card's vendor, but I have
managed to avoid knowing anything about Linux thus far and want to stay that
way :)

What steps can I take to locate the correct pccard configuration to use this
card?

Thanks for your time,

--Mike Edenfield (kutulu@kutulu.org)