Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:21:11 -0700
From:      "Mark C . Langston" <mark@bitshift.org>
To:        Mark Diekhans <markd@Kermodei.com>
Cc:        Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Notebook recommendation

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:27:35PM -0700, Mark Diekhans wrote:
> Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com> writes:
> > I'm planning to buy a notebook and I want to run FreeBSD on it, of course.
> > My main requirements are:
> >
> > - It has to be lightweight < 2.5Kg ( < 5.5 lbs)
> > - Battery should last at the very least 2+ hours.
> > - 1024x768 resolution
> > - Compatibility with the Cisco Aironet 340 cards I already ordered
> > (shoulnd't be too difficult, just requires a PC Card slot).
> > - Maximum compatility with FreeBSD.
>
> I recently purchased a Sharp A290 and (after about a month of use)
> think its fantastic.  3.1-lbs, titanium case, 1024x768 with the
> nices LCD I have ever used   PII/366/128mb/9gb for $1600 (U.S.).
> Built-in ethernet an USB (&#%$ HSP modem).  I have been told
> it runs cooler than the VAIOs.  Overall, a nicer machine (IMHO)
> than the VAIOs for less money.  The external battery adds a lot
> of extra time (~6 claimed hours)
>
> Had some trouble with FreeBSD 4.0 and the PCCARD, but upgrading to
> 4.0-STABLE fix it all.
>
> Haven't even looked at the sound support.

I'm running 5.0-CURRENT on my Sharp Actius A800, and have sound working,
USB working (by applying the HP Omnibook patch that ignores the return
code on the initial probe) with my Rio 500, and it works flawlessly with
my WaveLAN Gold 802.11b wireless PC card, even with the apmd and the
close-lid suspend.  The screen's excellent, and overall it's gotten lots
of "ooh"s and "aah"s these past few weeks on the road.  It also has
a removable CD-ROM drive.

I must say as well, having owned both a Vaio (505GX) and this notebook,
the keyboard is much nicer on the Sharp.  One of the reasons I purchased
the Sharp is because after a few years of moderate use, the keycaps
on the Vaio started breaking irreparably.

There are a few odd graphics glitches when running XMame, and the
graphics chipset isn't quite beefy enough to run today's games natively
or via Wine, but for a day-to-day, mobile FreeBSD system, it's wonderful.

--
                               Mark C Langston
                              mark@bitshift.org