Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 18:55:33 -0800
From:      "Dave Lambrix" <webmaster@cpudetails.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Restricting User Access & Mail Quotas

Hello,

I am new to FreeBSD, but nevertheless, I have been given the assignment of
creating a FreeBSD based mail server for the ISP I work for. I have
installed popper and sendmail. I am able to send mail between local users
(root@localhost & dave@localhost) via Pine. I can telnet to smtp, pop3 and
ftp and interact with each. Now that is issue has been tackled, I am in need
of some help in regards to how to establish my users.

1. I do not want to grant ordinary mail users shell accouts or telnet access
into the server. Only POP3 and FTP access into *their* homepage space. How
do I do this? I assume it goes into which group your user belongs to, and
despite scouring Greg Lehey's Complete FreeBSD, I can't determine which.

2. I do not want users eating up more than 5MB of mail, per box. How do I
establish quotas?

And finally, while of minor importance, I am coming up with a strange issue
when sending mail with PINE. It can take up to 60 seconds or so before the
 SENDING 0% ] indicator changes over to confirmation that the message has
been sent. I think it's trying to do some kind of name resolution, but it
doesn't matter if I send mail to @localhost, @machine or to @machine.domain.
Just strange..

Anyway, thank you very much in advance.

Dave Lambrix