Date:      Tue, 4 May 1999 15:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgrade article)

> 	If FreeBSD advocacy consists of being arrogant and dictating there
> is only one way to do things then we're not helping to advance the FreeBSD
> cause. The GPL is a license, use it if it meets your needs.

One simple question to everyone calling freebsd advocates arogant, etc.
This thread brewed off of (what I consider Linux FUD) posted in reply to
slashdot's article. How many of you actually read the messages, or has
this just become a general pissing contest? When I read them (most, not
all) I saw only a few remarks against linux. Perhaps the most arogant
statemet I saw was: "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve."

Examples of why I consider it FUD... (or plan ignorance)

When Walnut Creek Cdrom upgraded its hardware to reach a goal of 10,000
users (I believe that's there eventual goal?)... the following replies were
recorded.

Linux (as far as I know) can't handle more than 2GB (or is it 1GB?).
That's a shame because FreeBSD evidently can use 4GB (2^32). When Linus
is asked
about this memory limitation of Linux, he typically answers: "Use a
64-bit processor". IMHO, that's not a good answer. 32-bit architecture is
not dead
yet. Linus should consider this limitation as a serious deficiency of
Linux and work on fixing it rather than saying "Use Alpha". In fact Xeon
memory
address bus is probably higher than 32-bit and so a OS running on Xeon
should be able to handle higher than 4GB RAM.

---Linux FUD---

'Okay, I'm a linux newbie, so maybe I shouldn't have been able to do
this, but I set up my 8.4GB hard drive with a 10mb boot partition, 100MB swap
partition, and a 6+ GB partition for / under linux. (The rest is to play
with win95 one of these days.)

'Didn't know I couldn't do it, and S.u.s.e 5.3 and 6.0 didn't complain.
Maybe ignorance really is bliss.'

---------------

'The only reason they're running that thing on an X86 in the first place
is because they're probably FreeBSD bigots and that's the only platform
it DOES
run on reliably.'

Financial Problems (Score:1)

by Anonymous Coward on Saturday May 01, @05:36AM EDT

According to employees of Walnut Creek CDROM, the CDROM market is down
and Walnut Creek may not be with us much longer. One major chain of
computer superstores recently discontinued offering Walnut Creek
products. But it is not surprising because Walnut Creek Products are
overpriced.
Couple that with the looting of Slackware Linux profits to subsidize
FreeBSD (which has never made a profit for Walnut Creek) and you have a
recipe
for bad blood and bad customer relations. If I were a Linux user, I would
be outraged.

Thank goodness there is an alternative. I've had nothing but the best
service and the best values from Cheapbytes. There you can find
everything from
Linux to FreeBSD at bargain prices with top notch service. I will never
again waste a nickel on Walnut Creek ripoffs.