Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 20:25:25 +0200 (EET)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

> >Does anyone out there have or know of a list of reliable modems?

	I vote for recent Motorola's V.34 modems (Premier i.e.,
	even Motorola Pro, remember this white plastic box? ;).
	USR Couriers are also really good.

> >By reliable, I mean modems which have the least compatibility problems,
> >especially when negotiating with other vendors' modems. My understanding
> >(which is probably wrong, so feel free to correct me, thanks) is that
> >even tough a vendor claims to support standard (e.g V42bis), it may not
> >always work with another vendor's 'same' standard (i.e. V42bis again).

	No you are probably wrong here, I didn't observe
	any problems with V.42/V.42bis in last 3 years.

	Though compatibility problems with different _V.34_
	implementations -- oh yeah. There were some...
	and pretty non-obvious ones.
	Namely with Rockwell chipsets and "all others",
	and with USR Sportsters 33.6 and "all others",
	some time ago.

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin

nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE