Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2006 04:02:53 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shadow.h compile question

On 2006-04-27 17:24, Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to compile a plugin for squrrilmail it is the vacation
> plugin.  when I run make it tells me the it cannot find shadow.h
>
> I did a find on the freebsd server which is 5.4 and did not find
> shadow or shadow.h
>
> what is shadow.h?  can I get it from anywhere?

A Linuxism that has been used by the author of the software:

    $ find /usr/include -name shadow.h
    /usr/include/shadow.h
    $ uname -a
    Linux foo 2.6.10 #1 Thu Dec 30 03:01:16 EET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
    $

User programs shouldn't depend on <shadow.h> but use the <pwd.h>
header instead and the getpwent() library function, whenever they need
to access user/password information.

- Giorgos