Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 08:23:29 -0500
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        Developer <dev@flevel.co.uk>
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIN_WAIT_2

> On Mon, 19 May 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
> > >Does anyone know if Freebsd times out FIN_WAIT_2's.. if so what is the
> > >timeout and what date was this put into the kernel?
> >
> >    There have been a variety of timer changes over the past two years which
> > should catch cases >= CLOSING. Specifically, the persist timer is set on
> > connections >= CLOSING, so connections in FIN_WAIT_2 should be timed out by
> > that timer at the very least. My vague recollection is that a different timer
> > kills it before that, however.
>
> Thanks for the information. It seems from testing on one of our machines
> that the timeout may be around 5 mins. It's unfortunate that apache seems
> to have no way to detect that the user has hit stop other than just
> leaving the conntion in FIN_WAIT_2 until the kernel times it out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Trefor S.

The Apache Group has gone through considerable contortions on this
issue. The FIN_WAIT_2 is not a result of a user pressing STOP, but
rather the result of a half-close on the socket waiting for the
client to either close or restart the connection. The are a number
of reasons that this is needed. Visit the following URL for a more
thorough explanation.

http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/fin_wait_2.html