Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:23:17 +0100
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        Gilles Gravier <Gilles@Gravier.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2 installer doesn't see my SATA disk on Shuttle ST20G5

Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Thanks Veronica!!
>
> And where can I find the hardware compatibility list, please? I
> haven't checked since I don't know where to look for it.
>
> The only thing I have is :
> http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/6-STABLE/hardware/amd64/index.html ...
> but it doesn't name any specific motherboards... and the "supported
> device" page doesn't even mention "radeon"... so I'm thinking this may
> not be the complete list. Or FreeBDS is not supporting modern enough
> hardware for me (though that ST20G5 is starting to be a good year old).
>
> Gilles.

Hi Gilles,

The URL you have is the HCL indeed. It does not list motherboard but
components instead. You can check the HCL if for example a gigabit
controller is supported under FreeBSD. In this case you have to look for
ata(4) because you're looking for a generic ATA/SATA controller. If you
click that link, you'll see this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ata&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-stable

It's a bit confusing but ULi was previously named ALi (Acer Labs Inc) so
ULi controllers are listed under ALi.

The website you gave me provided no clue about the actual controller
used. They provided no real "specifications" just marketing talk. ;-)
But by using Google i found this dmesg under OpenBSD:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2006-01/1400.html

There we can see:
vendor "Acer Labs", unknown product 0x5287 (class mass storage subclass
SATA, rev 0x02) at pci0 dev 31 function 1 not configured

So the actual SATA controller is called ULi 5287, and this controller is
listed in the ata(4) manpage. The author of that thread also said the
SATA works under FreeBSD (but not OpenBSD). So i think your SATA will
work fine.

Your gigabit ethernet should work fine too, its BCM5751 which works with
bge-driver:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bge&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-stable

If you have an opportunity to test this board under FreeBSD be sure to
submit the dmesg and list of what works / doesnt work to this list:
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

Hope this helps. :)

- Veronica