Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      joeo@cracktown.com
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RSA patent expires

I'm have no expertise on Intelectual Property Law in the US...

With that disclaimer;

You'll no longer need to license the RSA public key stuff for proprietary
apps or use the rsaref library for freeware/research in the US.

RSA Inc. will still hold patents on some applications/methods of use of
public key cryptography, stuff they developed and patented years after RSA
was patented.  Whether these have impact on anything that is currently
shipped with FreeBSD is another story.