Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:47:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@freefall.freebsd.org, michaelh@cet.co.jp, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit:  src/sys/conf options

> >Is the intent to be able to increase vnodes via sysctl?  The ability to
> >decrease will likely break a lot of assumptions made in the code.
>
> Changing the number vnodes via sysctl is a standard 4.4BSD (Lite1) feature.
> Decreasing the number below the current number allocated has no effect
> except to inhibit future allocations.  The limit is fuzzy anyway.

Having a limit other than memory allocation failure is stupid anyway;
if I'm trying to run a program and it runs out, then it's the only
limiting factor on running the program -- there's no other inherent
problem causing it.

It's silly to think you can have "too many vnodes"... what resource
that is usable are you preventing starving by hard limiting them?
How do you run a program to take advantage of the resource you
"saved" this way, if the program you want to run won't run because
you are out of vnodes?  ...Silly.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---