Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2009 01:27:51 -0300
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd vs. pc-bsd

On Friday 24 April 2009 11:06:03 am Michael Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering what are the major differences between freebsd
> and pc-bsd and is it harder or just as easy to setup freebsd as a
> desktop compared to pc-bsd?

Hi there Michael =)

In regards to the differences I think it depends on where are you
standing .. It could safely be argued that PC-BSD is a preconfigured
FreeBSD system with and extra "software distribution and management"
method (pbi) and a relevant set of tools created in order to ease the
administration of a FreeBSD system for the desktop user ... YMMV .. but
I tend to see it that way ...

Now, regarding the "which one is easier to setup as a desktop" ..
well .. by all means the easier one is PC-BSD .. Turning FreeBSD into a
desktop system is something that _you'll_have_to_do whereas PC-BSD is a
FreeBSD system that has already been turned into a desktop system so
you don't have to go trough all that process ... and that's one of the
reasons why it exists ;)

> Will freebsd work with sager laptops, and
> will freebsd recognize 4 gigs of ddr3 memory and if it does not
> regularly, how can I get freebsd to recognize 4 gigs of ddr3 memory?

I really don't know the answer to the "sager" question .. and,
personally, I think that's something that they as the manufacturers,
should be able to answer (if not already legally binded to ...).

Regarding you "4gigs of ram" the answers is: yes .. but you'll have to
do some reading on PAE and maybe kernel recompiling  ...

> Will freebsd be able to recognize the latest technologies, like
> intel core 2 duo and the new Nvidia GTX260m, and hard drives at any
> speed like 7200 rpm?

Tray taking a look at the README file on the Nvidia FreeBSD driver
located at the nvidia web page in order to find out whether the Nvidia
FreeBSD driver does or does not support the GTX260m ..

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_180.51.html

I probably should mention that the nvidia drivers are only available for
the x86 platform at the moment. If you need 64bit support, write them
an e-mail asking for it ...

Hard drives and core2 are no problem at all .. I'm actually writing this
mail on a core2 ..

Here .. take a look:

[gonzalo@inferna ~]% sysctl hw.model
hw.model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz
[gonzalo@inferna ~]% sysctl -a | grep temperature
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 34
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 32
[gonzalo@inferna ~]%

> I don't know any kind of code so is there any
> books or any kind of resources that you recommend I look at?

Sure thing ... you'll find everything there is to know in here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

If you can afford yourself to spend a few bucks (and .. to be honest ..
after reviewing your harware specs, you seem to be able to) on a
_really_ good book about FreeBSD; "Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide
to FreeBSD, 2nd Edition" by Michael W. Lucas is _the_ book to buy.

> Sorry I have so many questions but I just ordered a new sager laptop
> and I do not really want to have to use windows vista if I don't have
> to, and I think it would be fun to learn how to use freebsd.

Then, by all means, buy "Absolute FreeBSD: The Complete Guide to
FreeBSD, 2nd Edition" because you _will_ want to have that book at
hand. And, should you be able to afford it, try and buy the official
cds/dvds from freebsdmall.com ;)

> Thank you,
> Michael Haid

Anytime !!
Good luck and hope to see you posting from your FreeBSD/PC-BSD system
soon :)
--
Blessings
Gonzalo Nemmi