Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 2000 00:26:23 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Alex <alex@montenegro.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rebooting to a different OS

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > Annelise Anderson wrote:

> > > The only boot manager that I know of that can do this is
> > > System Commander, which needs a dos partition in which to keep
> > > its files.  It creates, when it boots, a file called
> > > syscmndr.sys, in C:\.  If the System Commander is set up to
> > > boot the last operating system loaded by default, you can
> > > copy this file (when FreeBSD is loaded) to syscmndr.bsd, and
> > > when nt is loaded, to syscmndr.nt.  Then you copy whichever
> > > one you want to syscmndr.sys, and reboot.
> > >
> > > This assumes you can log in to either system and get write
> > > access to the dos drive containing syscmdr.sys and so forth.
> >
> > You can telnet to the machine. The question is if you have write
> > privalege's from FreeBSD. You could have a script and batch file that
> > toggles the c:\boot.ini as administrator.
> >
> > Kent
>
> I think that would work too; this assumes you're using the nt
> boot manager.  I couldn't figure out how to make it work, perhaps
> because I was working with two drives.

When you have NT on the machine, the NT loader can be easier. You
bring up the system applet from the control panel. It is one of the
advanced options. I would setup nt to boot and then grab the boot.ini.
Then setup FreeBSD to boot and grab that version. This way you only
grab a working version and don't have to modify it yourself. The file
has been attrib'ed to be hidden, and system. You unattrib it, copy the
one you want to boot and re-attrib it. I'm just not sure how to remote
boot the NT. There used to be remote administration utilities that
would do that. FreeBSD is no problem because you just tell the system
to reboot as root. There were a number of system and kernel builds
that were done from a telnet window on this W2K machine that way.

The boot.ini is a text file and looks like

boot.ini              Line: 0 of 8                     M HS
2/15/2000   6:59p
[boot
loader]
?
timeout=30
¦
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINTW5
¦
[operating
systems]                                                            ¦
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINTW5="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional¦
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINT4W="Windows NT Workstation
Version 4.00¦
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINT4W="Windows NT Workstation
Version 4.00¦
C:\="Microsoft Windows
98"                                                     ¦

¦

The default is the system that is going to be booted. The
[oper...tems] are the choices. Windows98 is really on my "D" drive. I
only have FreeBSD on dedicated systems. The "C" drive on my NT
machines is dedicated as an intermediate for sharing information and
no OS is located on that partition. NT 4 and W2K understand Fat but
Win98 doesn't understand NTFS. Large partitions mess up legacy DOS
programs and so I have one 2GB FAT16 partition. The arrangement will
probably change real soon now. I just haven't got around to it. I made
a program run today that I've been working on converting from a Cray
and once I finish testing it I won't need a machine with DEC Visual
Fortran on it at this point. I do want to make it work on FreeBSD and
this would be handy.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart