Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:21:54 -0800
From:      "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
To:        Karl Agee <kdagee2@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, portmanager-questions@sunsite.dk
Subject:   Re: portmanager errer

On Monday 28 March 2005 04:08 am, you wrote:
> --- "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 27 March 2005 07:23 pm, you wrote:
> > > Mike:  got an error running a portmanager -u.
> >
> > Freebsd
> >
> > > 4.11-stable, fresh cvsup ports.
> > >
> > > here is the error:
> > >
> > > -su-2.05b# portmanager -u
> > > portmanager 0.2.9_3 info: executing rm -f
> > > /usr/local/share/portmanager/ports_cache.db

> > >--- PMGRrStatus 0.2.9_3 info: Creating inital data
> >
> > bases

> > >--- PMGRrDbCreate 0.2.9_3 info: adding
> > > /editors/openoffice-1.1 to ignore.db reason:
> > > pm-020.conf option
> > > PMGRrDbCreate 0.2.9_3 info: adding /java/jdk14 to
> > > ignore.db reason: pm-020.conf option
> > > PMGRrVerifyContentsFile 0.2.9_3 error: "@comment
> > > ORIGIN:" not found in
> > > /var/db/pkg/bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47/+CONTENTS
> > >                 bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47 installation
> >
> > is
> >
> > > corrupt!
> > >                 recomend running "pkg_delete -f
> > > bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47" then manually reinstalling
> >
> > this
> >
> > > port
> > > assertion "0" failed: file
> > > "PMGRrVerifyContentsFile.c", line 102
> > > Abort trap (core dumped)
> > >
> > > The bsdspan thing is a perl module. I have
> >
> > uninstalled
> >
> > > it and reinstalled from cpan and it installs ok.
> > >
> > > how to fix........
> > >
> > > --Karl
> >
> > Send me this file please:
> >
> > /var/db/pkg/bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47/+CONTENTS
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > -Mike
>
> Mike:  here ya go....
>
> --Karl

Karl I found a link that discusses bsdpan that I think applies to you:

Apparently bsdpan installs pearl modules outside of the FreeBSD  ports
system and that is not the proper way, there is supposed to be an
equivalent port for each module within the ports system.

here is from the +CONTENTS file you sent:

@comment PKG_FORMAT_REVISION:1.1 @name bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47 @cwd /
@comment This package was generated by BSDPAN

a +CONTENTS file generated from the ports system looks like this:

@comment PKG_FORMAT_REVISION:1.1
@name perl-5.8.6_2
@comment ORIGIN:lang/perl5.8
@cwd /usr/local
man/man1/a2p.1.gz

The ORIGIN line has to exist or there is no way to to tell
which /usr/ports directory an installed port came from.

If you noticed in the portmanager error message:

> > >                 recomend running "pkg_delete -f
> > > bsdpan-Net-Z3950-0.47" then manually reinstalling

This is probably what you should do, if there is some reason you
must use bsdpan to install perl modules let me know and I'll consider
making an adjustment to portmanager.  Right now I am thinking these
perl modules of yours were installed ages ago and things have changed
since then.

-Mike

ps: I'm forwarding this to freebsd questions in case anyone who knows
a lot about bsdpan has anything to add.