Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 16:15:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@bigdipper.umd.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   libc.a in /lib?

Hey all - I was wondering why FreeBSD doesn't keep libc in /lib
instead of /usr/lib so that programs in /bin don't all need to be
statically linked?

Ocassionally, I find myself in single user mode without /usr
mounted and try to execute some program which craps out due to the
lack of libc.  Then I wind up recompiling those programs statically.  The
end result is that I have something like a meg or two of statically
linked programs which could happily be smaller if libc.* was in /lib
(which would take up only 800k or so).

(Yes, I know, I could change it on my own system, but then every time I
sup, I'll have to change it again)...

Thanks for any comments...

Al