Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:34:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disapointing security architecture

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

:    You know, it wouldn't cost too much to implement ACLs with an extra
:    inode if we implemented an ACL cache, allowing multiple references to
:    the same ACL inode.  When someone changes the ACL associated with a file,
:    it would hop to a different ACL inode.  There'd have to be a mechanism
:    to prevent excessive fragmentation but I think it would work in general
:    terms and not even eat that many inodes.

Something like this certainly makes sense.  You need to keep track of how
many files are using that ACL inode, but that is much the same problem as
hard links.  What I wonder about is what the hit rate is going to be?  I am
fairly sure that most of my ACLs will be identical, so I suppose the odds of
having one in core is pretty high.  You would also win on what ever the ACL
equivelant of chmod * is.

David Scheidt